Established in 2001 the Wales Strategic Migration Partnership (WSMP) for asylum seekers, refugees and migrants works with stakeholders in the statutory, voluntary, private and community sectors to provide strategic leadership, advisory and coordination function on migration in Wales. There are Migration Partnerships in Scotland and Northern Ireland and in each of the English Regions, forming a national infrastructure.
The WSMP is hosted by the Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) to reflect the Partnership's enlarged all Wales role around migration and to help foster closer working with the 22 local authorities in Wales; improving links with local government's political structures and local priorities. The team currently consists of:
- Anne Hubbard - Director
- Emma Maher - Wales Refugee Resettlement Coordinator
- Erica Williams - ESOL Coordinator
- Pat Westow - Partnership Administrator
The Partnership's aims are to:
- Facilitate collaboration and debate among UK Visas and Immigration, national, regional and local government and non-governmental organisations and regional and local stakeholders to develop a strategic approach to promoting the benefits of migration refugee resettlement and minimising any adverse impacts
- Contribute to the development and implementation of local and national migration policy
- Work with local delivery partners to design and oversee delivery of services that meet asylum seekers, refugees and migrants needs in that region / national area
- Act as a conduit for two-way information between the Department for Communities and Local Government, Department for International Development, Department for Education, other government departments and national partners and facilitate mult-agency meetings on migration
The Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) is a member of the Wales Strategic Migration Partnership's Executive Board, which meets quarterly to:
- ensure a coordinated approach to migration; and
- share information and good practice.
The Board's meetings are chaired by the Reverend Aled Edwards and are attended by a number of local authorities in Wales.
Wales Migration Portal
Register here for access to the Wales Migration Portal, which brings together publicly available migration data for the first time in one place. The Portal is simple and intuitive to use and provides users with a range of migration data and contextual information, bilingually, in table and map form.
Knowledge Hub: Syrian Resettlement Programme for Wales
The Syrian Resettlement Programme for Wales Knowledge Hub has been established for local government officers in Wales who have a role in supporting the relocation of Syrian refugees to Welsh local authorities and through the UK government’s Syrian resettlement programme. The hub’s main purpose will be to act as a central resource of useful materials, training courses and good practice examples for members to draw upon in order to assist them with their work in this area. For further information, please contact Emma Maher.
Links: City of Sanctuary / Displaced People in Action / Welsh Refugee Council / Local Government Association / UK Visas and Immigration / Knowledge Hub / LGA: Syrian refugee resettlement - A guide for local authorities / WSMP: Syrian vulnerable persons relocation scheme toolkit / All Wales Multi-Agnecy: Age assessment of unaccompanied asylum seeking children toolkit
For more information contact: Anne Hubbard