Information for newly elected councillors
The WLGA would like to congratulate all new and returning councillors on their election! We look forward to working with you over the next five years. Here are some resources that you might find useful.
You will already have received a copy of the Councillors’ Guide. We will be updating this online version as information changes.
Your local authority will be providing you with a local induction programme, these are vital for both new and experienced councillors. Being a new councillor can be daunting, so if you are unsure of anything or would like any advice or support, just ask your Head of Democratic Services or member support officers; they are there to support you. Many councils also arrange mentoring or ‘buddying’ arrangements for new councillors too.
The WLGA also provides a range of useful resources in addition to the Councillors’ Guide, including:
- E-Learning resources for councillors - Interactive modules covering a range of key issues, so you can learn at your own pace, in your own time
- Member Role Descriptions - Your council may provide you with some, but these should give you a good indication of what is expected of your role as a councillor or if you are appointed to a committee or to a senior position
- Guides for Councillors – covering webcasting, social media and planning (see bottom of menu on the left)
Regional Induction events for new members
Following your local induction events, all new members have a place on one of the WLGA’s free regional induction events in the autumn where you can meet with colleagues from across your region and hear from the Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Local Government and the Future Generations Commissioner. More information here
The dates and venues for these events are:
- 6th October - Caerphilly Council Offices
- 13th October - Carmarthen Halliwell Centre
- 3rd November - Conwy Business Centre
- 10th November - Swansea Marriott
- 17th November - Cardiff All Nations Centre
Speak to your Head of Democratic Services or member support officers to book your place.
New to a senior position?
If you have recently moved to a more senior position, you will find the Leadership Programme for Councillors useful. The next programme starts in the Autumn and another in January. More information here
For more information contact: Sarah Titcombe